D-etractions A real world programmers view on D

Peter Alexander peter.alexander.au at gmail.com
Sat Aug 25 13:06:57 PDT 2012

On Saturday, 25 August 2012 at 19:39:47 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 8/25/2012 6:03 AM, Peter Alexander wrote:
>> Okay, so bitfields are rarely used, but many templates involve
>> some use of CTFE,
>> and templates are very common in D code. It's good that D's
>> parser is fairly
>> simple to implement (compared to C++ anyway), but to do
>> automated refactoring
>> you need simple semantic analysis, and this is something that
>> D does not have.
>
> How many IDEs can handle the C preprocessor, with token pasting
> and all, when refactoring?

Straw man - I didn't suggest that the C preprocessor was any
better. C++ is similarly criticised for its poor IDE support
(when compared with C# and Java) due to the pre-processor and
templates. If you haven't seen the level of support that (for
example) Visual Studio provides for C# then I recommend checking
it out. I imagine the situation with Java and Eclipse is similar,
but I don't have any experience there.