D-etractions A real world programmers view on D

Paulo Pinto pjmlp at progtools.org
Sat Aug 25 14:49:15 PDT 2012

Am 25.08.2012 16:43, schrieb Niklas:
> On Friday, 24 August 2012 at 23:58:19 UTC, Pragma Tix wrote:
>> ----was Andrew McKinlay is trying D for Suneido.
>>
>> http://thesoftwarelife.blogspot.fr/2012/08/d-etractions.html
>>
>> You do not necessarily have to agree with Andrew, but this is a
>> pragmatic developer's view. Let me say that Andrew has created his own
>> database system (Relational Algebra based) , his own language (Ruby
>> like) and his own application frame work. Finally he is using his
>> Tools to create real world software.. i.e. Trucking/Transport /
>> Accounting etc.
>>
>> IMO a voice, D core developers should listen to.
>>
>> Bjoern
>
> I would say that a modern IDE is what most of todays developers use
> today. The D community misses out on a HUGE audience here. It's already
> hard to convince a programmer to try out something new. Starting up a D
> project isn't something that is done in a day by a person who is pretty
> new to programming.
>
> Best regards,
> Niklas

Quite true.

I was used to IDEs from the MS-DOS, early Windows days.

In the university I discovered Emacs and VI, and joined Emacs side for
many years.

Until I joined the world of enterprise development, where the IDEs
usually rule.

The amount of tooling Emacs, Netbeans, InteliJ, Visual Studio offer for
code navigation, refactoring, code analysis, visual debugging and
integration beats what Emacs and VI are able to offer. Even with tons of
customization, it is not the same thing.

With background static analysis I can even forget my strong typing
(Pascal family) bias against C and C++.

Emacs used to be considered as bloated as we consider IDEs nowadays. :)

--
Paulo