D-etractions A real world programmers view on D

Nick Sabalausky SeeWebsiteToContactMe at semitwist.com
Sat Aug 25 16:13:43 PDT 2012

On Sat, 25 Aug 2012 14:16:27 -0700
Walter Bright <newshound2 at digitalmars.com> wrote:
> On 8/25/2012 1:06 PM, Peter Alexander wrote:
> >
> > Straw man - I didn't suggest that the C preprocessor was any
> > better. C++ is similarly criticised for its poor IDE support (when
> > compared with C# and Java) due to the pre-processor and templates.
> > If you haven't seen the level of support that (for example) Visual
> > Studio provides for C# then I recommend checking it out. I imagine
> > the situation with Java and Eclipse is similar, but I don't have
> > any experience there.
>

> I don't agree it's a straw man - it's the point. A perfect job is not
> necessary in order for people to find automated refactoring useful.

C++ is known for having a lot of problems - Heck, that's why D exists.
So saying "C++ does XX" doesn't necessarily excuse anything. And I
don't think it does excuse it in this case.

However, that said, I think C++ does work as an example of why it's not
*necessarily* a terribile thing that D isn't perfectly
auto-refactorable. And FWIW, I do think D's metaprogramming power *is*
perfectly sufficient justification for it's refactoring difficulty.

And do I agree that "A perfect job is not necessary in order for people
to find automated refactoring useful."