Function pointers/delegates default args were stealth removed?

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Mon Aug 27 13:24:47 PDT 2012

On 8/27/2012 3:34 AM, Artur Skawina wrote:
> On 08/27/12 10:24, Walter Bright wrote:
>> On 8/27/2012 1:10 AM, Manu wrote:
>>> I don't see how the linker enters into it. Default args are irrelevant to the
>>> linker.
>>
>> Consider name mangling and what it's for. Now consider two *different* types mangling to the same name.
>>
>> D fundamentally depends on a 1:1 correspondence between types and name mangling, not 1:n or n:1.
>
> D or DMD?

D.

> Because the relevant bug /was/ an implementation problem.

Which revealed a design problem in the language.

> but that's not really an acceptable solution, obviously.

Right, and having a bunch of half-assed solutions is not a good long term
solution. We all know that C++ is full of such, and they've caused endless grief
as subsequent designers try to fix them, and pages and pages of impenetrable
explanations in the C++ spec.