Function pointers/delegates default args were stealth removed?

foobar foo at bar.com
Mon Aug 27 14:22:39 PDT 2012

On Monday, 27 August 2012 at 21:08:48 UTC, Maxim Fomin wrote:
> On Monday, 27 August 2012 at 20:29:15 UTC, deadalnix wrote:
>>
>> That guy just have to rework 5 projects. This is quite a lot
>> of work.
>>
>> Obviously, that change have to be done. But you can't just
>> impose such a change on users. Their agenda isn't synchronized
>> with D's.
>>
>> D NEED a better versioning scheme, as explained MANY times
>> here already.
>
> I may be considered rude, but as I have understood from the
> first post Manu
> 1) decided to use a not fully designed language feature
> 2) used this feature in public API when working with DLLs
> (which is by itself a problematic area)
> 3) integrated this with other language in a a way that require
> substantial rewrite and possibly redesign
> 4) updated compiler
> which I consider a process of looking for problems and no
> excuse for making code-break change. Anyway, older version of
> compiler is available.

All true, except one crucial fact: DMD gets critical bug fixes
incorporated with new features in the same release. This leaves a
poor choice to the programmer, either he sticks with older
compiler version and can't get any critical bug fixes, or he
updates the compiler to latest version with all the bug fixes but
risks breakage of code due to new features (which is _exactly_
what happened to manu).

It's high time for D to split its dev version from the stable
one. All major software have this, Debian, Linux, browsers
(chrome, Firefox, etc), Windows, etc, etc. This is an ancient
concept practiced for decades now in the software world.