Function pointers/delegates default args were stealth removed?

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Mon Aug 27 14:54:52 PDT 2012

> On Monday, August 27, 2012 23:22:39 foobar wrote:
>> All true, except one crucial fact: DMD gets critical bug fixes
>> incorporated with new features in the same release. This leaves a
>> poor choice to the programmer, either he sticks with older
>> compiler version and can't get any critical bug fixes, or he
>> updates the compiler to latest version with all the bug fixes but
>> risks breakage of code due to new features (which is _exactly_
>> what happened to manu).
>
> Except that the change which is causing Manu problems _isn't_ a new feature.
> It's a bug fix. So, better versioning wouldn't necessarily have helped him any
> at all.

Yah, this particular example is more of an example of the limitation of
the stable/dev approach. Nevertheless, I do think we should switch to it.

But more importantly we must first move to an integrally automated,
scripted method of releasing software. The amount of manual drudgery
that goes into today's release process makes my blood curd. To
paraphrase a famous quote, we can't improve what we don't have.

Andrei