Function pointers/delegates default args were stealth removed?

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Mon Aug 27 15:04:54 PDT 2012

On Monday, August 27, 2012 14:54:52 Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
> > Except that the change which is causing Manu problems _isn't_ a new
> > feature. It's a bug fix. So, better versioning wouldn't necessarily have
> > helped him any at all.
>
> Yah, this particular example is more of an example of the limitation of
> the stable/dev approach. Nevertheless, I do think we should switch to it.

Oh, I agree. I'm just saying that this is not a problem that a major.minor
versioning system would solve. Such a versioning scheme could definitely be
beneficial, but I think that many of those asking for it seriously overestimate
how much it will reduce breaking changes. Aside from whatever deprecations
occur (the number of which has been diminishing), they're almost exclusively
caused by bug fixes.

> But more importantly we must first move to an integrally automated,
> scripted method of releasing software. The amount of manual drudgery
> that goes into today's release process makes my blood curd. To
> paraphrase a famous quote, we can't improve what we don't have.

Agreed.

- Jonathan M Davis