best practices tutorial needed (for function signature, class vs struct, etc)

Nathan M. Swan nathanmswan at gmail.com
Wed Aug 29 22:53:20 PDT 2012

On Saturday, 25 August 2012 at 20:37:27 UTC, timotheecour wrote:
> Is there a "best practices" page on this site to use as
> reference for those FAQ, that AFAIK are not in the docs:
>
> * when to use class vs struct
> (eg
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/11058906/struct-vs-class-for-writing-d-wrappers-around-foreign-languages)

General rule I follow (don't know if this is common): use
`struct` unless you are using pointers a lot: that's a sign you
need classes.

> * what's the standard signature for opEquals ()
> (ef
> http://forum.dlang.org/thread/ewhhutwupqxbepqyzhlr@forum.dlang.org#post-mailman.1402.1345925314.31962.digitalmars-d:40puremagic.com)
>
> * same for toString(), this(), etc.

IDK

> * to use or not to use @property

@property is semantically a fake field. Thus, use it to get an
attribute that doesn't have side effects (except for setters) and
runs in constant time.

> etc..
>
> I understand it's on a case by case but I would hope there are
> certain rules one can follow in 99% cases.

My 0.02 dollars,
NMS