Deprecated Library Functions / Methods

js.mdnq js_adddot+mdng at gmail.com
Sat Dec 1 08:19:25 PST 2012

On Friday, 30 November 2012 at 15:04:02 UTC, Chris wrote:
> Is there a way of telling when things in the library will calm
> down and it'll be save to develop in D and update old code?
>
> I started with D2 version 2.051 and created a medium-sized
> project fairly quickly, but now I have a lot of deprecated
> methods in my code. I couldn't keep up with all the changes and
> I have been hesitant to update my code because there are still
> a lot of "Will be removed in September/November/December ..."
> warnings in the library. Much that I like D, I simply cannot
> develop in D at the moment due to the constant changes in the
> Phobos library. I have this sinking feeling that this is
> killing the language.

Why not make a branch of D then use the patch as the source for
your compilation. When new changes occur you can try them out. If
they break your source then try and update your branch with only
things that do not break your source.

No one is forcing you to use a newer version of D. The only
purpose is for stability and enhancements. Not all stability
patches and enhancements will break your code(many with be
orthogonal).

Obviously the drawback is managing the branch, but if it's such a
big issue it can be done.