Errors compiling DSSS

Rob T rob at ucora.com
Sat Dec 1 13:32:09 PST 2012

On Saturday, 1 December 2012 at 13:18:04 UTC, Jacob Carlborg
wrote:
> On 2012-11-30 19:36, Dmitry Olshansky wrote:
>
>> AFAIK you don't need to import module to run its tests. So
>>    rdmd --main -unittest a.d b.d
>> should work.
>
> RDMD is the external tool that I was talking about. Which is
> fixing some of the problems I was talking about.
>
>> Then we should also be able to make rdmd more extendable.
>> There is e.g.
>> quite interesting --eval switch but I feel it could be
>> something more
>> customizable w/o a lot of extra work.
>
> RDMD should be built as a library as well.

I have to agree, rdmd should be a library.

It's entirely possible that the very best way around the build
issue (and likely many other issues as well), is through an
extensible library format for the compiler, transforming it in to
an embeddable tool that even itself can use.

As you know, D interacts very poorly with the concepts of
extensible libraries, for example, druntime is not even position
independent, so it seems the advantages of library use was not in
the mind set when D was first created. Imagine where this can be
taken!

We really need a generally agreed on official road map for all
the devs to follow. What I've seen so far focuses far too much on
the language feature set alone, but the tools are a significant
component of any language, so that part should not be taken so
lightly. Time to change that mindset, somehow.

--rt