Deprecated Library Functions / Methods

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Sat Dec 1 16:52:19 PST 2012

On Sunday, December 02, 2012 00:40:20 sclytrack wrote:
> > Some modules should be deprecated as a whole, even if we do not
> > yet
> > have a proper replacement yet. For example we know for many
> > years that
> > std.xml is broken and nobody is fixing it, but we still ship it
> > with
>
> Shouldn't the new version be called std.xml2 while leaving the
> old std.xml in phobos? Basically no replacement.

We've talked about doing that with modules that we intend to replace where it
doesn't make sense to give them a new name - std.xml being one of them - but
nothing like that has happened yet. The closest would be std.regexp ->
std.regex and std.date -> std.datetime, and both of those obviously involved
renaming. But I would expect std.xml to be replaced with std.xml2 at some
point.

We _were_ looking at outright throwing std.xml away at one point and then
replacing it later, given how bad it is, but we never quite did that, and at
this point, I wouldn't expect it to happen. We've been focusing more on
avoiding breaking code of late, and so, doing something like that probably
wouldn't be deemed acceptable at this point.

- Jonathan M Davis