Bret Victor - Inventing on Principle

Nick Sabalausky SeeWebsiteToContactMe at semitwist.com
Sun Dec 2 09:24:23 PST 2012

On Mon, 19 Nov 2012 14:26:59 -0000
"Regan Heath" <regan at netmail.co.nz> wrote:

> Hope no-one minds..
>
> I stumbled across this video which I thought was pretty darn cool:
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUv66718DII

That is really cool. It does wonder offtopic and get a little
pretentious near the end, but very interesting overall.

The game example is something that, more or less, exists already. It
has some downsides, but certainly a useful tool.

The animation example would definitely need some more precise abilities
added (such as timelines for all the movement/rotation/etc shown as
editable line graphs) since "performance" is a good thing but also
has drawbacks. But it definitely looks like a great tool to be added to
a more fully-fleshed animation toolbox. The multi-touch aspect is
gimmicky and doesn't add anything - and could even get in the user's
way. So I would design it so if you didn't want to hold the item button
on the left, you could just tap it to select it. But otherwise,
definitely some good stuff.

The non-game code example was definitely the most original and
eye-opening one, IMO. Also probably the hardest to implement, but
definitely something I'd like to see become common.