@property needed or not needed?

Regan Heath regan at netmail.co.nz
Sun Dec 2 12:19:14 PST 2012

On Sun, 02 Dec 2012 18:47:26 -0000, Rob T <rob at ucora.com> wrote:
> If someone can honestly demonstrate a non-subjective reason why there
> must be a difference between function call and variable assignments,
> please show it. So far I've only seen arguments that boil down to "I
> don't like it".

A variable assignment is in 99% of cases a simple operation.  A function
call is in 99% of cases a more complex operation.  Being able to
immediately "see" those costs is useful.  A language which allows you to
make variable assignments costly will be inherently harder to understand
in terms of cost, than a language which does not.