Deprecated Library Functions / Methods

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Sun Dec 2 18:25:09 PST 2012

> It's messy and ugly to leave dead code around in a library. It also makes it
> so that it's possible for people to keep writing code which uses it when they
> shouldn't be.

It is not dead code, there are people using it.

As for aesthetics, it can be moved to the end of the module, and
visually segregated.

Also, if the documentation for it is removed, I seriously doubt that
sensible people will use it in new code.

> I'm all for moving to a model where we keep deprecated stuff around for stuff
> that we deprecate in the future, but I'm completely against leaving the stuff
> that we currently have deprecated around. It was changed in an effort to clean
> up the library in preparation for having a clean, stable API, and leaving it
> around is messy and counter to that purpose.

Breaking peoples' existing, working, stable code is worse than offending
a notion of clutter, especially because only phobos developers will even
see that clutter.