Deprecated Library Functions / Methods

deadalnix deadalnix at gmail.com
Sun Dec 2 22:55:55 PST 2012

On Sunday, 2 December 2012 at 23:32:56 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 12/3/2012 10:13 AM, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
>>>
>>> I do not see a compelling reason to remove them. Just leave
>>> them deprecated.
>>
>> They're clutter, and they've been deprecated for a while,
>> which means that no
>> one has been able to use them without -d for a while. It's
>> also trivial to fix
>> code which uses them, because they're primarily naming
>> changes. It's just not
>> worth keeping that kind of clutter around in the library IMHO.
>> And the
>> documentation has made it clear that they were going to be
>> removed.
>
> This is really the crux of our disagreement. I do not see a
> problem with leaving "clutter" around if it prevents breaking
> existing code. It being trivial to fix user code is not good
> enough - the fact that the user has to go back and fix stable,
> working, debugged code is the problem that Chris is saying is
> preventing him from using D seriously.
>
> Remove them from the documentation, ok, but leave them there.
> It does not hurt to do so. Let them die on their own, we do not
> need to push them out the airlock.

The thing that you'll never agree. In fact you are both right :
user must be able to rely on D to compile their code for an
extended period of time, and cruft must be cleaned at some point.

The 2 are really important. This is why both MUST be ensured,
using 2 branches.

Thoses 2 goal are not reconcilable, and no discussion will come
up with the best solution. This disagreement is a symptom of a
bigger issue.