Deprecated Library Functions / Methods

Chris wendlec at tcd.ie
Mon Dec 3 03:10:05 PST 2012

Thank you all for taking my input seriously. I do appreciate it.
I can understand both "parties", but I think not breaking code is
more important than the ideal of a clean library. The reality of
coding is (as we all know) that programmers cannot constantly
update their code, because there are other more urgent things to
be done (bug fixes, new modules etc.). I think it is not fair to
accuse a programmer of carelessness simply because s/he didn't
have time to check all the deprecation warnings in the library.
And from a marketing point of view it's never a good idea to put
off users by telling them "Ah don't complain, it's your own
fault, you simply weren't careful enough!"

Also, the existence of deprecated methods doesn't encourage me
(or others, as far as I know) to keep on using them forever. What
usually happens is that when I start to write new code, I use the
new methods as soon as they are available (no matter which
language I use), and once I am familiar with them, I can step by
step replace the old deprecated methods with the new ones. So,
the reason I wanted to use the latest version of D was exactly
because I wanted to use the new methods. But what happened was
that I could not use the new methods, because I had to use an
older version of D, yet I didn't want to write new code using
deprecated methods. I got stuck properly.

I think ideals have to be adjusted to the reality of coding and
not vice versa. I do want to keep on using D as it solved a lot
of problems for me and I will update my code once things have
calmed down.