D plugin for IntelliJ IDEA?

Rainer Schuetze r.sagitario at gmx.de
Mon Dec 3 05:01:57 PST 2012

On 03.12.2012 13:43, Oliver Plow wrote:
> On Monday, 3 December 2012 at 11:12:48 UTC, Mirko Pilger wrote:
>>> I used Visual D when I looked at D some months ago. Visual D is not so
>>> bad, but doesn't work with Visual Studio Express and the full Version of
>>> Visual Studio does cost a bit of money...
>>
>> don't forget that visual d and all its features work with the visual
>> studio shells which are available for free. no need for the express or
>> full versions.
>
> Hi Mirko,
>
> I'm from the Java camp and am not familiar with Visual Studio. Those
> shells have no UI, do they? Those "ordinary application developers like
> me" always first ask for an IDE before they look at some language. Maybe
> I will never become a real D systems programmer ... ;-).

The VS Shells are the complete Visual Studio IDE, but stripped of
language support, such as VC++ or C#. Installing Visual D on top of it,
you get the full environment for D including debugger.

> Thanks for your reply, but seriously: a D plugin for IDEA would give D a
> boost. I don't know with IntelliJ wold do that without asking for money,
> but I guess they wold be very helpful at least. IDEA also exists for Mac
> and Linux by the way.

I guess it depends on where you are coming from. C++/C# developers will
feel at home with Visual Studio, Java developers are used to other IDEs.