Experimental Phobos modules?

deadalnix deadalnix at gmail.com
Wed Dec 5 10:57:21 PST 2012

On Wednesday, 5 December 2012 at 08:43:39 UTC, Jonathan M Davis
wrote:
> Whether we want some kind of experimental set of modules in
> Phobos which
> _could_ be reviewed, I don't know. I'm inclined to think that
> that's a bad
> idea. However, it might be a good idea if we had a separate
> project (akin to
> Boost perhaps) with a lower standard for inclusion and minimal
> long term
> stability so that more modules could be tested and tried out
> before going
> through the actual review process. It would also potentially
> make it easier
> for programmers to take other people's code and make it Phobos
> ready when the
> original programmers are willing to write it in the first place
> but not got the
> extra mile to make it Phobos ready, as they could put into that
> incubator
> project to be used, abused, and improved by others.
>
> Regardless, I think that we need to look at finding ways to
> make sure that
> major inclusions to Phobos get more actual field testing before
> being put into
> Phobos in their final form. The review process is great, but I
> don't think that
> it's always enough to make sure that a module's API is really
> going to work
> long term. And if we want long term stability, we need to make
> sure that new
> modules are really ready to have their APIs essentially frozen
> when they make
> it into Phobos proper (allowing further additions but avoiding
> breaking
> compatibility with any changes that are made).

I think D isn't big enough to get that into another project. Many
people wont use that just because you need a setup when they
would if they don't need to, while knowing they use something
that isn't casted in stone.

experimental seems the right name to me :
- It is long.
- It is explicit.