Better forum

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Wed Dec 5 12:54:54 PST 2012

On Wednesday, December 05, 2012 21:42:00 Rob T wrote:
> On Wednesday, 5 December 2012 at 18:24:04 UTC, js.mdnq wrote:
> > I have a lot of trouble with the forum. Many times a msg will
> > not post as it sits in a cycle waiting for the nntp server to
> > get the message or for it to be announced.
> >
> > IMO there are much better forum software out there that would
> > make it easier to communicate about D than the current method.
> >
> > http://www.mybb.com/ is free, pretty good, and relatively easy
> > to setup.
> >
> > The ability to edit a post makes life much easier too!
>
> Here's another split thread?
>
> My understanding is that the forum is something made out of an
> nntp news server, and some people use a newsreader client instead
> of way us web based forum folks go about it. Why use nntp for
> this forum?

There are 3 ways to access this newsgroup:

1. As an nntp newsgroup.

2. As a mailing list.

3. Via forum.dlang.org which puts a forum interface on top of the nntp
newsgroup.

Personally, I use #2 and would hate to use either of the others. But
regardless, we're not moving to some other forum software. I don't know if
there even _is_ any other forum software that sits on top of an nntp
newsgroup, and we're not moving off of an nntp newsgroup. On top of that, the
software that forum.dlang.org uses is written in D by one of the posters here,
and we've gotten quite a lot of good press for how fast and responsive it is.
I don't doubt that it could be improved, but we're not getting rid of it in
favor of something else, and whatever improvements are made to it need to not
conflict with the fact that it's just one of the ways to interact with the
newsgroup (e.g. adding voting would make no sense, because only
forum.dlang.org would see it).

- Jonathan M Davis