Better forum

Dmitry Olshansky dmitry.olsh at gmail.com
Wed Dec 5 12:55:30 PST 2012

12/6/2012 12:42 AM, Rob T пишет:
> On Wednesday, 5 December 2012 at 18:24:04 UTC, js.mdnq wrote:
>> I have a lot of trouble with the forum. Many times a msg will not post
>> as it sits in a cycle waiting for the nntp server to get the message
>> or for it to be announced.
>>
>> IMO there are much better forum software out there that would make it
>> easier to communicate about D than the current method.
>>
>> http://www.mybb.com/ is free, pretty good, and relatively easy to setup.
>>
>> The ability to edit a post makes life much easier too!
>
> Here's another split thread?
>
> My understanding is that the forum is something made out of an nntp news
> server, and some people use a newsreader client instead of way us web
> based forum folks go about it. Why use nntp for this forum?

It's the other way around - it's an NNTP server originally.
The web forum is a recent addition as no extra hassle way to start using
it. The hassle being installing newsreader & getting it to work properly
on all machines you may want to use.

In the end it opens the newsgroup to a wider audience I guess.

Once I got used to threading I'd hate to switch to the "stream of
messages" style that typical web forums produce.

--
Dmitry Olshansky