Better forum

js.mdnq js_adddot+mdng at gmail.com
Wed Dec 5 14:32:40 PST 2012

On Wednesday, 5 December 2012 at 21:55:19 UTC, Andrei
Alexandrescu wrote:
> On 12/5/12 1:24 PM, js.mdnq wrote:
>> I have a lot of trouble with the forum. Many times a msg will
>> not post
>> as it sits in a cycle waiting for the nntp server to get the
>> message or
>> for it to be announced.
>>
>> IMO there are much better forum software out there that would
>> make it
>> easier to communicate about D than the current method.
>>
>> http://www.mybb.com/ is free, pretty good, and relatively easy
>> to setup.
>>
>> The ability to edit a post makes life much easier too!
>
> I think that's a largely solved problem, as most who use
> http://forum.dlang.org love it over other systems, and for
> those who aren't into web forums there are good alternatives.
>
> Of the features listed on http://www.mybb.com/features, it
> would be great to include voting. Other than that, clearly we
> should on fixing the issues with the system (as opposed to
> switching to another one).
>

> Andrei

It would seem to me that nntp is somewhat dead(little support
from software devs) and while I like nntp to some degree it just
lacks too many feature compared to BB's.

I would think it would be better to have a BB forum then try to
interface to that(it should be relatively easy). This way you
have all the modern features of a BB system but still allow
legacy users to get their fix the way they want it.

Basically your stuck with the nntp protocol and trying to upgrade
it is futile. (and talk about spam, newsgroups are loaded with
them).

Since BB's are pretty popular, free, and usually well designed, I
wouldn't see why it would hurt to even have them in parallel.
Eventually the legacy users will come over from/to the dark side
when they see how much better it is.