Experimental Phobos modules?

Brad Roberts braddr at slice-2.puremagic.com
Wed Dec 5 15:18:28 PST 2012

On Wed, 5 Dec 2012, Alex R?nne Petersen wrote:
> On 05-12-2012 22:05, Jonathan M Davis wrote:

> > > In this case, though, there isn't really much to *do*. People just need
> > > to send pull requests when they have a module they feel is ready for
> > > field testing.
> >
> > Yes. But I think that that's completely inappropriate for putting into
> > Phobos.
> > We would actually need a separate project for that. And someone would need
> > set up and manage that project. Given that they wouldn't be doing code
> > reviews
> > or maintaining the code or whatnot, it's not at all the same as getting
> > someone to take the time to produce a large piece of functionality for
> > Phobos
> > and might ultimately end up not taking much time from the person leading the
> > project. But someone still needs to step up and do it. And no one has done
> > that. Several have suggested it, and a number of us have agreed that it's a
> > good idea, but as long as no one actually takes the initiative and actually
> > does it, it's just a nice idea.
> >
> > - Jonathan M Davis
> >

> Separate project? That kind of defeats the entire purpose: Making the
> to-be-tested module readily available to everyone...

IMHO it must be separate to gain the speed and evolution that experimental
suggests.  It should not be tied to the phobos release schedule.
Additionally, the set of people should be separate (though could overlap).
There's more downsides to being in the same repo and same release process
as there are upsides, as far as I see it.

My 2 cents,
Brad