Better forum

js.mdnq js_adddot+mdng at gmail.com
Wed Dec 5 16:09:00 PST 2012

On Wednesday, 5 December 2012 at 23:07:21 UTC, Paulo Pinto wrote:
> Am 05.12.2012 23:40, schrieb js.mdnq:
>> On Wednesday, 5 December 2012 at 22:14:57 UTC, Walter Bright
>> wrote:
>>> On 12/6/2012 8:50 AM, Alex Rønne Petersen wrote:
>>
>> IMO, the only downside is supporting legacy users who refuse
>> to make the
>> transition. I think they are just being hard headed though...
>
> I hate web forums with passion, they all suck compared to the
> browsing
> experience most NNTP clients offer.
>
> I can browse threads just with keyboard navigation, follow
> discussion threads, mark/unmark all I have read, save
> discussions for posterity,
> all with a standards compliant network protocol free of walled
> garden
> data servers.

Huh?  You can do the same thing with BB's? There is nothing you
can do on NNTP that can't be done on BB's. Most BB's can be
customized. If you want an app to view the BB how you want it
then write one. Many BB's have RSS feeds, ability to
edit(something you can't do with nntp, or at least most nntp
servers), get reply by mail, mark all read/unread, save(also
possibly not in the same format as you might be used to), etc...

> As for spam, that is what moderation is for, if ever needed.
>
> I am a firm believer that users of web forums can only find
> them better than Usenet, because they haven't experienced
> Usenet in its golden days.

I used to use usenet back in the day and after setting up a good
spam filter it was ok. The only thing I find it better at BB's is
navigation as it was quick to respond to threads. BUT this is not
a feature that only nntp can dish out. There is nothing stopping
any BB software from doing the same.

Most people that hate BB's simply do so because they are too in
love with usenet. I mean, how can you hate having the ability to
not edit posts or easily search the whole forum.

Usenet is dead, simple as that. Scan 95% of groups and they are
full of nothing but spam. New users will not use them because of
this alone.

The mentality of staying with usenet is no different than that of
saying with win3.1. Just because you think it is better or want
it to be better does not mean it is.

I understand status quo is a huge factor to overcome but all
progress relies on doing so. How will D attract new users if it's
method of communication is unfriendly?

It's much easier to customize a BB system rather than nntp. In 10
years how many nntp servers will there be? Most ISP's already
have stopped providing nntp. NNTP can't be upgraded because it is
a distributed system and all servers must be upgraded(Which isn't
going to happen).

I just came across this post from a "random" search:

http://www.digitalmars.com/d/archives/digitalmars/D/announce/3069.html

Which wouldn't happen in a BB system.

Optimally both types of forums could be maintained. That way
everyone can get a piece of pie. Time will tell which one is
"better".

(my main point is that BB's can be easily customized to suit most
peoples needs. If you want a nntp like client I'm sure it would
not be difficult to create one as a mod to a BB. But sticking
with nntp just guarantees that nothing will ever get
better/change)