Better forum

Vladimir Panteleev vladimir at thecybershadow.net
Wed Dec 5 16:31:39 PST 2012

On Wednesday, 5 December 2012 at 18:28:04 UTC, js.mdnq wrote:
> I have a lot of trouble with the forum. Many times a msg will
> not post as it sits in a cycle waiting for the nntp server to
> get the message or for it to be announced.

Sorry about that. As far as I know, this only happened twice.
Today it happened due to a regression I introduced while
attempting to fix another problem. Hopefully, both are fixed now.

For the record, your posts aren't getting lost - the web frontend
just never received the message back from the NNTP server to put
it in its local cache.

> IMO there are much better forum software out there that would
> make it easier to communicate about D than the current method.
>
> http://www.mybb.com/ is free, pretty good, and relatively easy
> to setup.

Such proposals have been extensively discussed in the past.

> The ability to edit a post makes life much easier too!

That wouldn't work for NNTP / email users.

The D forum is open-source, and help / contributions are welcome.
I was actually hoping that the D community would be a bit more
involved in its development, however for the moment I remain the
sole author (as far as D code goes). Perhaps it is partially my
fault, as the source code is not as organized as I would like it
to be...