Better forum

js.mdnq js_adddot+mdng at gmail.com
Wed Dec 5 17:41:54 PST 2012

On Thursday, 6 December 2012 at 01:13:50 UTC, Rob T wrote:
> On Wednesday, 5 December 2012 at 21:55:19 UTC, Andrei
> Alexandrescu wrote:
>
>> I think that's a largely solved problem, as most who use
>> http://forum.dlang.org love it over other systems, and for
>> those who aren't into web forums there are good alternatives.
>
> I'm looking at the URL in my browser, and it's using
> http://forum.dlang.org.
>
> Sorry but I don't love it. I can't edit posts, it frequently
> hangs when refreshing, hangs when posting, and it breaks up
> threads frequently (like this one), which is rather unpleasant
> if you're trying to follow a lengthy conversation.
>
> My guess is that the people using a newsreader are OK, but a
> ton of people prefer to use web browsers, I would hazard a
> guess that most people who use the Internet don't even know
> what a newsreader is.
>
>> Of the features listed on http://www.mybb.com/features, it
>> would be great to include voting. Other than that, clearly we
>> should on fixing the issues with the system (as opposed to
>> switching to another one).
>
> Someone really needs to take a look at what's going wrong and
> try to fix it, and if it cannot be fixed, than I would say an
> alternative should be seriously considered.
>
> --rt

I personally don't see why we can't have both. It really
absolutely makes no sense. There are no laws of physics that is
preventing them both from being used. Those that hate web based
can stick to their own and those that hate nntp can stick to the
web browsing. I do not use nntp simply because all the groups I
used to frequent are dead. For me, while nntp doesn't allow
editing, it wasn't a huge deal(at least most of the time).

What I do know is that editing will never be available with nntp
and that is a severe restriction... in 2051 there will be no way
to edit/delete posts here and fix mistakes. That tells you a lot
about how dead the nntp protocol is. Sure there is a chance....
but about the same as a chance in hell... which, I think, is
sorta like winning the lotto.

All the reasons I've seen so far in favor of nntp are pretty
superficial. So you have to use a mouse to navigate? Or it takes
2 seconds longer to scan through a thread? So what? Write a
script to reduce the clutter or make keyboard navigation
easier... At least you have the ability to do those things with
modern tools rather than being stuck using a rock as a hammer.