Better forum

anonymous anonymous at example.com
Wed Dec 5 18:08:16 PST 2012

On Thursday, 6 December 2012 at 01:41:55 UTC, js.mdnq wrote:
[...]
> I personally don't see why we can't have both. It really
> absolutely makes no sense. There are no laws of physics that is
> preventing them both from being used. Those that hate web based
> can stick to their own and those that hate nntp can stick to
> the web browsing. I do not use nntp simply because all the
> groups I used to frequent are dead. For me, while nntp doesn't
> allow editing, it wasn't a huge deal(at least most of the time).

We do have the web interface. If you want to start a separate
forum, that would mean splitting the community.

> What I do know is that editing will never be available with
> nntp and that is a severe restriction... in 2051 there will be
> no way to edit/delete posts here and fix mistakes. That tells
> you a lot about how dead the nntp protocol is. Sure there is a
> chance.... but about the same as a chance in hell... which, I
> think, is sorta like winning the lotto.

Editing is an anti-feature. I think it's nice that mistakes are
preserved. This is a forum for discussion, mistakes are expected,
and editing can make it difficult to follow.

> All the reasons I've seen so far in favor of nntp are pretty
> superficial. So you have to use a mouse to navigate? Or it
> takes 2 seconds longer to scan through a thread? So what? Write
> a script to reduce the clutter or make keyboard navigation
> easier... At least you have the ability to do those things with
> modern tools rather than being stuck using a rock as a hammer.

Proper threading is a pretty strong point for NNTP. The D forum
routinely messes it up, though. That reeaally should be tackled.

I have not seen a good argument for BBs. Editing is considered
harmful (by me). Other than that I only saw "they're shiny and
new, all the other kids got them", not compelling.