Better forum

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Wed Dec 5 22:26:55 PST 2012

On 12/6/2012 1:08 PM, anonymous wrote:
> I have not seen a good argument for BBs. Editing is considered
> harmful (by me). Other than that I only saw "they're shiny and new, all
> the other kids got them", not compelling.

The boosters of BB software have not addressed many of the complaints I
had about them.

One mentioned that BB software allowed posting pictures. I kinda like
that newsgroups don't do pictures - this is a programming forum.
Pictures are needed in hotrod forums, but they're a waste of bandwidth here.

And I especially like the very, very low bandwidth requirements for
NNTP. It keeps our server costs low, and for users it means you can
access the forum on the go without worrying about your cell phone data
bill, and it works over slow and unreliable connections (such as what
you get at a conference).

And, of course, low bandwidth requirements means you get faster response
times.