ctRegex vs. Regex vs. plain string

Chris wendlec at tcd.ie
Thu Dec 6 07:21:40 PST 2012

I have updated my code (finally!) to 2.060. As my project deals a
lot with text processing including loads of special characters
(á, ú etc.), I make extensive use of the std.regex module (and I
really appreciate the use of the Thompson NFA). To optimize my
program I have experimented with ctRegex / StaticRegex and Regex.
However, there are still compile time problems with Regex and
StaticRegex which is why I am using plain strings at the moment,
which work fine with the same regular expressions. Are there any
precautions I have to take when using compile time regular
expressions? Does anyone have any experience as regards
performance enhancement?