Better forum

Nick Sabalausky SeeWebsiteToContactMe at semitwist.com
Thu Dec 6 10:08:52 PST 2012

On Wed, 05 Dec 2012 23:32:40 +0100
"js.mdnq" <js_adddot+mdng at gmail.com> wrote:

> It would seem to me that nntp is somewhat dead(little support
> from software devs)

I'm having a hard time thinking of even one email client that doesn't
also support NNTP.

> and while I like nntp to some degree it just
> lacks too many feature compared to BB's.

I don't find most of those features particularly useful. Avatars? Blech.

> Basically your stuck with the nntp protocol and trying to upgrade
> it is futile. (and talk about spam, newsgroups are loaded with
> them).

This one only gets a little bit of spam.

> Since BB's are pretty popular, free, and usually well designed, I
> wouldn't see why it would hurt to even have them in parallel.
> Eventually the legacy users will come over from/to the dark side
> when they see how much better it is.

I used to be die-hard message board fan for many years. Then I came
over to D (before the good web interface it has now) and started using
NNTP with a proper non-web client. *Now* I find NNTP to be vastly
better.

My *one* problem with NNTP is that there's no standard and
universally-supported URL system for it, especially not one that takes
into account the fact that some newsgroups (like this one) exist only
on ONE specific server.

Also, regarding all the talk about "legacy", I should point out that
"newer" is not equivalent to "better". (Just look at Win8! ;) )