Better forum

Nick Sabalausky SeeWebsiteToContactMe at semitwist.com
Thu Dec 6 12:02:08 PST 2012

On Wed, 05 Dec 2012 21:47:25 -0800
Jonathan M Davis <jmdavisProg at gmx.com> wrote:

> On Thursday, December 06, 2012 05:41:53 timotheecour wrote:
> > enhancing forum features: 1click upvote, sorting, 1click
> > duplicate etc (eg: userecho use case)
>
> What's the voting supposed to do? What are you voting on? Whatever it
> is, it can't have any effect beyond those who use the web interface,
> so unless it's specifically something that only affects you account,
> I don't see how it could really work.

It sounds pointless, and it mostly is, but what it *is* useful for is
a community-moderated way to help separate out, and discourage,
the useless troll posts. (And also help the *really* good ones stand
out, which also provides good feedback from the author: Are there no
replies because everyone agrees and has nothing to add, or is
indifferent or didn't read it?)

If my *ahem* "not-a-blog" site was getting a lot of comment traffic, I
would probably add in a comment voting feature so that it could
self-moderate better without sucking up too much of my time, without
generating as many flames[1], and I wouldn't need to so carefully
balance post-deletion with overuse-of-power.

[1] Why be tempted to flame a troll when he's just getting downvoted
and greyed-out anyway? A greyed-out troll is easier to ignore.