Better forum

Simen Kjaeraas simen.kjaras at gmail.com
Thu Dec 6 13:29:38 PST 2012

On 2012-12-06, 20:49, js.mdnq wrote:

> Why can's a BBS be modified to integrate with the current forum?
>
> After all, nntp and BBS's are basically databases with user interfaces.
> (nntp through it's protocol and BBS's through web browsers)
>
> It seems that if D's forum works and is able to interface between web
> based nd nntp then it wouldn't be hard to integrate or modify a BBS to
> work with nntp. This way we get the best of both worlds(or everyone can
> be happy).
>
> To me, this is the best option and it shouldn't be difficult to do.

So basically your argument boils down to "I lubs myBB, Y U no use it?"?
Are you perhaps working for them? If so, you've chosen your audience
poorly.

You are here describing what we already have. We have a web based forum
on an NNTP backend - just as you descibe. The only difference is it is
not your favorite forum software. Boo friggin' hoo.

As long as NNTP is the backend, there will be no editing of posts,
regardless of what you put on top of it (unless of course you think
giving different users different data is OK). Even if this were
possible, it seems most users here think it's a bad idea anyway.

As long as email exists, there will be no private messaging (hint:
'cause it's the same fecking thing).

Inserting images... You can do that already. It's called attachments.

Formatting of text... If ever I meet the person who decided HTML in
email was a good idea, I'll make sure he will stay away from computers
until long after he's dead.

Customization we have. Use whatever newsreader you want, or a blazing
fast forum if you only know how to use a browser. Bloating the forum
with customization options would be possible, but I don't see how
that would be a good thing. If you really need to, use a custom css
for it.

Votes are useless for a discussion forum. Votes may be good for a
what's hot-type of site (which this is not), and for answers to
questions where there is no clear-cut 'best' answer.

--
Simen