Concern about dmd memory usage on win32

monarch_dodra monarchdodra at gmail.com
Fri Dec 7 06:23:36 PST 2012

In particular, when compiling "-unittest std\algorithm.d", dmd
uses *nearly* 1 GB (it uses about 1,051,176K on my machine).

Problem is that when it reaches 1GB, it crashes. I have a pull
request which adds a few unittests to algorithm, and it is
consistently crashing on win32 with an out of memory error.

In layman's terms: std\algorithm.d is full. You literally can't
add any more unittests to it, without crashing dmd on win32.

I'd have recommended splitting the unittests in sub-modules or
whatnot, but come to think about it, I'm actually more concern
that a module could *singlehandedly* make the compiler crash on
out of memory...

Also, I'm no expert, but why is my dmd limited to 1 GB memory on
my 64 bit machine...?