Problem with const correctness

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Fri Dec 7 08:12:11 PST 2012

On Fri, Dec 07, 2012 at 04:18:00PM +0100, bearophile wrote:
> >struct Array(T) {
> >     this(T items[]...) {
> >         this._array = items;
> >     }
>

> For a D design bug, I think those items don't get copied. So be
> careful and test the code well.
[...]

Yeah I ran into this issue before. Calling the above ctor by passing in
implicit array (e.g., like "auto x = Array!int(1,2,3);") passes a
*slice* of the function arguments _on the runtime stack_. Then the
assignment statement above simply copies the slice (*not* the data) to
this._array, which is most probably *not* what you want. Namely, once
the function that calls the ctor goes out of scope, your struct will be
holding a slice of invalid memory. (In fact, it doesn't even have to go
out of scope; if later code in the function uses up more runtime stack
space, it will overwrite the original array and thus invalidate the
slice.)

Workarounds:
- Use items.dup. Problem: if you're passing an actual array to the ctor,
  it's unnecessary and inefficient.

- Use an array literal: auto x = Array!int([1,2,3]);, which I believe
  should allocate the array on the heap, and so you're safe to just copy
  the slice. This defeats the purpose of the "items..." syntax, though.

Chance favours the prepared mind. -- Louis Pasteur