Better forum

Rob T rob at ucora.com
Fri Dec 7 10:20:14 PST 2012

On Friday, 7 December 2012 at 16:19:39 UTC, Jonathan M Davis
wrote:
> On Friday, December 07, 2012 21:59:56 Walter Bright wrote:
>> On 12/7/2012 6:21 PM, Rob T wrote:
>> > Maybe there are instructions buried away somewhere, but I
>> > didn't see them.
>>
>> http://www.digitalmars.com/NewsGroup.html
>
> We might to want to do something at dlang.org or
> forum.dlang.org to make it
> clear that there are multiple ways to access the newsgroups. We
> get threads
> like this in part because new people find forum.dlang.org and
> have no idea that
> the other interfaces ever exist or that we use nntp on the
> backend. It's also
> unlikely that very many people are going to stumble on the page
> that you
> linked at this point, because most of them will probably just
> be visiting
> dlang.org rather than digitalmars.org, so only those who have
> been around
> longer or who find out about it from discussions like this are
> going to know
> about the other interfaces or how to access them.
>
> - Jonathan M Davis

Agreed, that's exactly what has happened to me. Dlang.org seemed
to be the main place to be with no reason to look elsewhere, and
I thought for a long time that the forum.dlang.org was supposed
to be a typical web forum, and not an nntp web interface.

I'd like to thank everyone for the detailed replies on how to
connect with a newsreader.

I'll part this subject line with a suggestion that you listen
carefully to what new people are complaining about, often it's
just reality from what outsiders are seeing, and it cannot hurt
to try and make things look better and work better to accommodate
that perspective.

To the guys who have been here forever, it is easy to forget that
new people do not know what you already know, and when looking in
from a different perspective and set of experiences, they will
often see things far differently than what you may be seeing.
They may also get frustrated and speak out in the wrong way at
times.

Of course I do realize this whole effort is run by volunteers, so
when I try and inform you about something that I don't think is
right, it's only because I like what I see and want to see it get
better, if I did not care I would not be posting at all. The
other guys who are complaining about stuff are probably the same
as me, they care enough to point it out.

People complaining is actually a good nuisance to have.

Thanks for the effort you guys are putting into D!

--rt