Concern about dmd memory usage on win32

deadalnix deadalnix at gmail.com
Fri Dec 7 14:51:47 PST 2012

On Friday, 7 December 2012 at 22:39:09 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
>> Nobody told you that the GC was THAT SLOW that it as even
>> slower than
>> the swap ? You really know nothing about optimization, don't
>> you ?
>
> This is not even remotely appropriate. Where did it come from?

Sorry, I was trying to be ironic. People keep telling that the GC
was removed because it was too slow, but it is pretty clear that,
however how slow it is, it is not slower than swapping.

I more and more irritated by the fact that we justify everything
here because it have to be fast or whatever, and at the end, we
have unreliable software that aren't even that fast in many cases.

I'm working on a program that now require more than 2.5Gb of RAM
to compile, where separate compilation is not possible due to bug
8997 and that randomly fails to compile due to bug 8596. It is
NOT fast and that insane memory consumption is a major cause of
slowness.

make; make; make; make; make is the new make.