Moving towards D2 2.061 (and D1 1.076)

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Sun Dec 9 17:26:59 PST 2012

On Sunday, December 09, 2012 16:33:44 Walter Bright wrote:
> It's time to do a release; to that end we should be working on tidying up
> the regressions.

Can we please get dmd pull# 1287 ( https://github.com/D-Programming-
Language/dmd/pull/1287 ) resolved before the next release (preferably by
merging it)? If we don't, and we merge it later, then we'll have added the -di
flag for nothing, causing people to start using it and then stop after the
2.062. I think that it would be best if we did not cause that sort of churn,
and I think that making deprecated warn by default will cause us far fewer
problems with deprecated in the future and help us avoid breaking people's
code when we actually have to change APIs for whatever reason. As it stands,
deprecating _anything_ breaks code, which makes deprecated useless if we
refuse to ever break people's code. With the pull# 1287, that would no longer
be the case. Given how much you hate breaking users' code, I'm kind of
surprised that you haven't merged it already. But regarldess, given the flag
issue, I think that it should be settled before the next release rather than
waiting.

- Jonathan M Davis