Moving towards D2 2.061 (and D1 1.076)

Denis Shelomovskij verylonglogin.reg at gmail.com
Mon Dec 10 00:56:44 PST 2012

10.12.2012 4:33, Walter Bright пишет:
> It's time to do a release; to that end we should be working on tidying
> up the regressions.
>
> This will be the last official D1 release.

Sorry, but I have never understand how can anybody call D stable and why
are you doing all this "support".

Let me explain:

A long time ago I wrote one (not open source) application in D1+Tango.
I'm still supporting it. The last D1 compiler I can use is 1.066 as then
a fatal regression was introduced and templates became unusable because
of ICE. Am I the only one who use templates in D1? If not, what is the
purpose for all this needless D1 releases as compiler doesn't work for
almost any project with templates?

And let me beat utterly:

Now imagine: a person updated a compiler and get ICE. On *huge*
codebase. What will he do? He will use old working one. But I decided to
go further, found a DustMite and decided to find the source of the
error. Do you know that current D2 compiler ICE-s with compiling
DustMite? Imagine, what will feel a person when bug finding tool ICE-s a
compiler? He will probably consider "D is a peace of unstable shit" and
go away.

And he will be right as it is unforgivable for us to talk about any
"stability" of D. "D is for crazy nerd who are ready to find, report and
workaround infinite compiler bugs on any complicated code with
templates", that's all we can tell.

But I finally managed to compile DustMite without ICE, found the
regression and reported. Still unfixed...

--
Денис В. Шеломовский
Denis V. Shelomovskij