dlang.org Library Reference

Nick Sabalausky SeeWebsiteToContactMe at semitwist.com
Mon Dec 10 10:58:30 PST 2012

On Mon, 10 Dec 2012 09:45:06 -0800
"H. S. Teoh" <hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx> wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 10, 2012 at 12:34:13PM -0500, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> > On Sun, 09 Dec 2012 18:10:42 -0800
> > Ellery Newcomer <ellery-newcomer at utulsa.edu> wrote:
> >
> > > Is anyone else noticing e.g. std.datetime taking upwards of 30
> > > seconds to render the blob of links at the top? It's freakin
> > > freezing my entire browser.
> >
> > It only takes about a second or two for me in FF2. I'm not seeing
> > any blob of links at the top though.
>
> 'cos you're running with JS turned off. :-)

<g>

It makes the web 10x faster, 10x more practical and 10x less
obnoxious - it's the "Make the web instantly better" checkbox ;) It's
almost magical!

> Also, I think the actual results depends on your system. If you have a
> high-powered system you probably wouldn't notice too much lag. It
> "only" takes about 3-4 seconds for me on a dual-core 3.4GHz Intel
> machine. But older machines will probably see a bigger lag.

Yea, at the same time though, if it takes a dual-core 3.4GHz (with
two levels of cache, out-of-order execution, pipelineing, branch
prediction, SIMD, external GPU, etc) 3-4 seconds to render a few pages
of formatted text, then something in computing has gone very, very
wrong.

> But anyway, I think all of this is kinda missing the point. The point
> is that the blob of links at the top of the page is plain unhelpful.
> It is only useful if you already know what you're looking for, in
> which case you could just use your browser's search function to find
> the matching text instead. Much more useful is a broken-down
> categorization (with proper nesting, etc.) of the functions, classes,
> structs, etc., of the module. Something like what std.algorithm does.

Looking at it with JS on, yea, I see what you mean now. Not so nice,
not so helpful, and definitely not worth the rendering lag. The
new-style baked-in summaries on pages like std.algorithm are much, much
better.