Moving towards D2 2.061 (and D1 1.076)

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Mon Dec 10 12:04:16 PST 2012

On Monday, December 10, 2012 11:41:29 H. S. Teoh wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 09, 2012 at 11:16:32PM -0800, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
> > On Monday, December 10, 2012 08:11:52 deadalnix wrote:
> > > 3/ Now that UDA are in master, what to do with them ? They
> > > clearly are not ready for release.
> >
> > Move them to a branch and remove them from master.
>
> [...]
>
> Wouldn't this be the right time to put the D stable idea to work? Leave
> UDA in master, but create a 2.061 release branch without UDA, and
> release that.

D stable is being run by someone else. It seems like the current plan is for
us to continue to put out releases like we have been but the D stable folks
will manage a separate repo which only has the stable changes and then fully
syncs up with master at some interval. Whether that's the best way to deal
with it is another matter, but that at least looks like what they're planning
on doing.

Regardless, the UDA stuff can't be in the next release. If we want to create a
branch that we do the release from (which we should be doing anyway), then UDA
can be explicitly removed from there rather than master, but it needs to not
be released regardless.

How D stable gets managed is a related matter, but based on the discussions on
that, I expect that that will be sorted out _after_ the next release rather
than with the next release (particularly since this is the last release with
D1, and Walter is more open to changing how does things after he doesn't have
to support D1 anymore).

- Jonathan M Davis