dlang.org Library Reference

Nick Sabalausky SeeWebsiteToContactMe at semitwist.com
Mon Dec 10 13:54:43 PST 2012

On Mon, 10 Dec 2012 12:57:43 -0800
"H. S. Teoh" <hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx> wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 10, 2012 at 01:58:30PM -0500, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> > On Mon, 10 Dec 2012 09:45:06 -0800
> > "H. S. Teoh" <hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx> wrote:
> > >
> > > 'cos you're running with JS turned off. :-)
> > >

> > <g>
> >
> > It makes the web 10x faster, 10x more practical and 10x less
> > obnoxious - it's the "Make the web instantly better" checkbox ;)
> > It's almost magical!
>
> Heh. I used to browse with no JS. But due to the annoying bandwagon
> jumping trend that is a common pathology in people involved with
> computers,

Very well-put :) I've long been convinced that most people in computers
should be exiled from the industry and sent to the fashion industry
instead, because clearly that's where they truly belong. Too damn many
fashion-folk in computing these days.

> more and more websites are starting to depend on JS and are
> mostly (or completely) dysfunctional without JS. So I grudgingly
> turned it back on.

Usually if something doesn't work without JS, or on FF2, then I decide
that it isn't worth my attention anyway (and it usually isn't) and I
leave. In the rare cases when I do unfortunately need to use the site
(ex: BitBucket and GitHub), then I suffer through Opera 10 (the last
version of Opera, and indeed the last major web browser period, to
support a vaguely-native skin).

On a related note, Chrome will never touch my computer.

> Mind you, though, what with browser bloat and JS memory hogging
> plaguing my browsing experience recently, I've tentatively switched
> back to no JS by default, and enable only on a per-site basis (Opera
> is good for that kinda thing).

FF's NoScript plug-in is fantastic for that.

> > Looking at it with JS on, yea, I see what you mean now. Not so nice,
> > not so helpful, and definitely not worth the rendering lag. The
> > new-style baked-in summaries on pages like std.algorithm are much,
> > much better.
>
> I would go so far as to propose that we get rid of those unhelpful
> link blobs completely. They make the page slow to load, and for no
> real benefit. Sounds like a lose-lose proposition to me.

vote++