Moving towards D2 2.061 (and D1 1.076)

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Mon Dec 10 15:35:49 PST 2012

On Monday, December 10, 2012 13:50:47 Walter Bright wrote:
> > Regardless, the UDA stuff can't be in the next release.
>
> Why? (It's being heavily used by some people.)

It hasn't even been properly worked out yet, and new features like that
shouldn't be being introduced in the main branch. It's not at all ready for
general consumption, and if it's in there, people are going to start using it
and then complaining when their code breaks when we change it later. It's the
sort of thing that should be on a separate branch and not in master. Even
worse, if the new stable branch that we've been talking about includes this,
then you'll have programmers programming with it for months before they get
the updates with the design that we're actually going to end up with, meaning
that that much more code will be written for that much longer with an
incomplete feature, waiting to be broken when the feature is actually updated
in the version of the compiler that they're using.

Andrei was already complaining about this was handled in the thread where they
were introduced, and I expect that he'll agree that it shouldn't be in the
release. It's not ready.

- Jonathan M Davis