Next focus: PROCESS

Alex Rønne Petersen alex at lycus.org
Mon Dec 10 16:26:44 PST 2012

On 11-12-2012 01:19, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 10, 2012 at 06:41:25PM -0500, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
>> Hello all,
>>
>> Walter and I have had a long discussion following his trip to
>> Australia. Following the current sprint for Win64 (which we all, I
>> think, agree was long overdue and had to be done), the main area we
>> need to work on (as I'm sure many would agree) is improving our
>> process, in particular the approach to releasing the compiler and
>> standard library.
>
> *applause* It's about time we did this right.
>

>> Walter has delegated me to lead this effort, and agreed to obey with
>> whatever process comes forward as long as it's reasonably clear and
>> simple.
>
> Good to know.
>

>> In turn, I'll be collecting thoughts and opinions in this thread,
>> distilled from previous discussions. We should develop a few simple
>> git scripts (such as git-start-new-feature or git-start-bugfix etc)
>> supported by an equally simple piece of documentation describing how
>> to start a new release, fix a bug, experiment with a new feature,
>> and such.
>
> Sounds OK to me, though it seems unnecessarily complicated. What's wrong
> with just doing things like:
>
> 	# New feature
> 	git checkout develop	# latest dev branch
> 	git branch -b brand_new_feature
> 	# implement said feature
> 	git commit -a
>
> 	# Merge feature into dev branch
> 	git checkout develop
> 	git merge brand_new_feature
>
> 	# New release candidate
> 	git checkout develop
> 	git branch -b 2.062-rc1
> 	# prepare code for release
> 	git commit -a
>
> 	# Release
> 	git checkout master
> 	git merge 2.062-rc1

master must be the development branch. This is a pitfall the Rust guys
walked into: People accidentally send their pull requests to the master
branch instead of the develop branch which overall ends up being a mess
when a reviewer doesn't notice the error before merging.

Otherwise sounds good.

--
Alex Rønne Petersen
alex at lycus.org