Moving towards D2 2.061 (and D1 1.076)

SomeDude lovelydear at mailmetrash.com
Tue Dec 11 21:29:00 PST 2012

On Monday, 10 December 2012 at 23:47:49 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
>> On Monday, December 10, 2012 13:50:47 Walter Bright wrote:
>>> Why? (It's being heavily used by some people.)
>>
>> It hasn't even been properly worked out yet, and new features
>> like that
>> shouldn't be being introduced in the main branch. It's not at
>> all ready for
>> general consumption, and if it's in there, people are going to
>> start using it
>> and then complaining when their code breaks when we change it
>> later. It's the
>> sort of thing that should be on a separate branch and not in
>> master. Even
>> worse, if the new stable branch that we've been talking about
>> includes this,
>> then you'll have programmers programming with it for months
>> before they get
>> the updates with the design that we're actually going to end
>> up with, meaning
>> that that much more code will be written for that much longer
>> with an
>> incomplete feature, waiting to be broken when the feature is
>> actually updated
>> in the version of the compiler that they're using.
>
> We've debated this feature at length in various threads. It's
> under heavy use by some people. It does not break any existing
> code. I don't see any unresolved issue that should delay its
> incorporation.

It's still experimental and should be marked as such: it's just
not ready for production. I can envision that in a few months,
some people using it heavily will report that it's ugly and
interacting badly with other features.

You just can't decide that such a feature is ready for production
without having a feedback after several months of usage by
several users.