Next focus: PROCESS

Jesse Phillips Jesse.K.Phillips+D at gmail.com
Tue Dec 11 22:37:07 PST 2012

On Monday, 10 December 2012 at 23:41:25 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
> In turn, I'll be collecting thoughts and opinions in this
> thread, distilled from previous discussions. We should develop
> a few simple git scripts (such as git-start-new-feature or
> git-start-bugfix etc) supported by an equally simple piece of
> documentation describing how to start a new release, fix a bug,
> experiment with a new feature, and such.

There may be some helpful scripts to facilitate a new workflow,
but the examples given I feel just translate to learning a D
specific git commands. Seriously you'll end up with a layer of
abstraction that will make it harder for those familiar with git
to understand and limit the ability of newer users to understand
the state their working copy is in.

git-start-new-feature:
$ git checkout devbranch
$ git checkout -b newfeaturename

git-start-bugfix:
$ git checkout stablebranch
$ git checkout -b fixbugxxx

How these should be folded back is the harder part. For example
the bug fix should then be into stablebranch and devbranch.

There is also the matter of pulling in changes of your stable or
dev branch as you work, this is done with the add --rebase switch
(and I believe opens the doors for more merge conflicts than a
standard merge).

> (One piece that has been brought forward is
> http://nvie.com/posts/a-successful-git-branching-model/ -
> something to keep in mind.)

I would like to note that these simple flows do not mimic our
world. We have three projects that need to be marked for release
in tandem. It doesn't need address now, but it should be noted.

I think it would be cool if the idea behind workbench project
someone started was used officially to sync dmd/phobos/dlang.org
and provide any of these needed deployment scripts. It would add
to the complexity but much of it is already there this would just
make it more apparent.