Moving towards D2 2.061 (and D1 1.076)

Rob T rob at ucora.com
Tue Dec 11 23:01:13 PST 2012

On Wednesday, 12 December 2012 at 05:32:13 UTC, SomeDude wrote:
> On Tuesday, 11 December 2012 at 04:36:36 UTC, Walter Bright
> wrote:
>> On 12/10/2012 8:21 PM, Walter Bright wrote:
>>> Yes I understand that, and it is being extensively and
>>> heavily used since the
>>> day I posted it, and no problems have arisen.
>>

>> I should also add that the design was based on extensive
>> discussions about it here last summer.
>
> Discussions are not enough. Issues and usage patterns only
> appear after several months of experience by several users. We
> need several months of experience before actually gaining any
> insight and feedback on such a feature.

The root problem is that we have one branch for the unstable,
testing, and stable code, and there's no possible way to make
anyone happy with only that in place.

The chaotic clash between stableness and unstableness will go
away once we have a well thought out development and release
process put in place, and it should make everyone happy because
it can allow for breaking new changes to be introduced into an
unstable branch without messing up the next pre-release version,
and updates to pre-release won't mess up the current stable
branch because it only gets updated with bug fixes.

We're working on the new process here ...
http://forum.dlang.org/thread/ka5rv5$2k60$1@digitalmars.com

Please contribute your thoughts and time if you can, I think
it'll be a very good investment for the future of D.

Thanks!

--rt