OT (partially): about promotion of integers

Han needtoknow at basis.only.net
Wed Dec 12 00:07:37 PST 2012

Walter Bright wrote:
> On 12/11/2012 10:35 PM, Han wrote:
>> Walter Bright wrote:
>>
>>> I'm interested in crafting D to be a language that people will like
>>> and use.
>>
>> Does that statement, then, represent a change in direction for the D
>> project? How long will this "crafting" take? Has this "crafting" been
>> already going on now for a decade? More than a decade? I'm new here
>> and would like to hear it "from the horse's mouth", so people,
>> please let Walter answer first.
>
> All languages in active use undergo continuous improvement by their
> developers. Ones that don't are called dead languages.

So you are skirting the issue then, or going to come back and post a real
answer after you think about it some more? Has the "crafting" toward "to be
a language that people will like and use" been going on from the start, or
is that a new direction? Define "people": who is the target user of D, who
has been and is the target changing now? What about the time thing? Perhaps
you should just repost the link to the historical/future roadmap/timeline
for that.

Further down in this discussion thread, I just posted more on this same
topic for your consideration. I think "prospectus" is the term I am looking
for: what a better time than the last month of the year to do that!