OT (partially): about promotion of integers

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Wed Dec 12 04:50:30 PST 2012

foobar:

> So basically you're suggesting to implement Integer and Word
> library types using compiler intrinsics as a way to migrate to
> better ML compatible semantics.

I think there were no references to ML in that part of Walter
answer.

> Regarding performance and overflow checking, the example you
> give is x86 specific. What about other platforms? For example
> ARM is very popular nowadays in the mobile world and there are
> many more smart-phones out there than there are PCs. Is the
> same issue exists and if not (I suspect not, but really have no
> idea) should D be geared towards current platforms or future
> ones?

Currently DMD (and a bit D too) is firmly oriented toward x86,
with a moderate orientation toward 64 bit too. Manu has asked for
more attention toward ARM, but (as Andrei has said) maybe
finishing const/immutable/shared is better now.

Bye,
bearophile