Next focus: PROCESS

Jesse Phillips Jessekphillips+D at gmail.com
Wed Dec 12 10:33:16 PST 2012

On Wednesday, 12 December 2012 at 10:22:32 UTC, foobar wrote:
> To summarize:

> 2. The version scheme is meaningless. Please check out
> http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/channel/#firefox as an
> example. It's perfectly clear, you can choose what Mozilla
> calls a channel - i.e "release" or "beta".

This is a poor example as it doesn't show how the development
team develops these versions.

If we are going to have a branch supported separate from the
beta/dev builds then we need a way to say that this stable
version is newer but is not as new as the beta/dev.

If we release 2.61 as a stable, we would then develop new
features in which version? 2.62 beta 1? If so, when we release
2.61 with a bug fix which version do we release? 2.62? 2.61
stable 2?

You are right that version numbers have absolutely no meaning, I
don't remember if it was you, but they are also not as important
as the process improvements. However if we assign meaning to
numbers there can be benefit. Mozilla basically just did away
with the Major version. (I say we do a Linux and leave the 2 then
realize it has no meaning and up it to 3 when we reach the age of
the 2.0 kernel)

We should combine your beta with an added version number.

2.61.0 => bugfixes => 2.61.1
2.61.0 => newfeatures => 2.62.0 beta 1
2.62 => preparing for stabilizing => 2.62 rc1

just some thoughts.