Moving towards D2 2.061 (and D1 1.076)

Brad Roberts braddr at puremagic.com
Wed Dec 12 13:10:13 PST 2012

On Wed, 12 Dec 2012, Iain Buclaw wrote:

> On 12 December 2012 17:29, Brad Anderson <eco at gnuk.net> wrote:
> > On Monday, 10 December 2012 at 00:34:33 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> >>
> >> It's time to do a release; to that end we should be working on tidying up
> >> the regressions.
> >>
> >> This will be the last official D1 release.
> >

> > Just a heads up, GitHub has removed their Uploads feature[1].  Current
> > uploads still work but this next release is going to need to either go back
> > to the Digital Mars server like it was before or find a new home. I prefer
> > the latter for speed reasons. Amazon S3 is fast and works well (it's what
> > GitHub Uploads was backed by) and should be fairly affordable for the sizes
> > we are talking about (I'd guess $3-4 per month).
> >
> > http://docs.amazonwebservices.com/AmazonS3/latest/gsg/GetStartedWithS3.html
> >

> > [1] https://github.com/blog/1302-goodbye-uploads
>
> I can offer a server for that, hosted a datacentre in the UK.  If I
> recall correctly, the net link are behind a 100GB link, testing the
> net speed, I get 250MB/s upload speed to Europe, only 20MB/s upload to
> America though.
>

> Regards,
> --
> Iain Buclaw

Generous offer.  I've been meaning to build packaging into the auto-tester
for both release builds and more frequent (nightly or maybe even every
cycle) builds.  I was going to toss them into s3 with a cloudfront
distribution in front of that.  Sounds like that needs to go higher on the
todo list given github's recent changes.

The advantage of CloudFront is fast access all over the planet, though it
has a cost associated with it.  I'll bear that until it starts to hurt.