OT (partially): about promotion of integers

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Wed Dec 12 13:35:02 PST 2012

On 12/12/2012 12:01 PM, Timon Gehr wrote:
> That is certainly fixable. It is a mere QOI issue.

When you have a language that fundamentally disallows mutation, some algorithms
are doomed to be slower. I asked Erik Maijer, one of the developers of Haskell,
if the implementation does mutation "under the hood" to make things go faster.
He assured me that it does not, that it follows the "no mutation" all the way.

> I think the factor GHC/DMD cannot be more than about 2 or 3 for roughly
> equivalently written imperative code.

A factor of 2 or 3 is make or break for a large class of programs.

Consider running a server farm. If you can make your code 5% faster, you need 5%
fewer servers. That translates into millions of dollars.